Oktoberfest Fest At New Glarus Wisconsin: Great Places to Visit and Eat
Looking for a great place to spend a day or a weekend with friends and family New Glarus Wisconsin is the place. There are a variety of activities to do in New Glarus from the state park, bike trails, festivals, museums, shopping, hiking, and dining. September 28-30 is Oktoberfest in New Glarus. There is free admission to the festival tent all weekend, what a great deal. Also I would suggest if you enjoy running try the 5K run/walk at 8 am on Saturday September 29th.
If you like festivals, fondue, ethnic flavors, and fun you’ll be sure to enjoy your time in New Glarus. The entire village embraces Old World customs, architecture, language, and traditions dating back to the mid 1800’s when the original Swiss immigrants settled here.
Whether you’re visiting New Glarus for the weekend, a day or just pedaling through, it’s easy to see why our Swiss founders chose to settle in the picturesque hills of Green County.
My suggestion for a great weekend in New Glarus would include the following:
· Friday night: Tap the Wooden Keg – 9pm
· 5K Run/Walk Saturday 8am
· Tour the New Glarus Brewery: nothing better than a Spotted Cow. I suggest the Tasting
Room Sample Tour for only $3.50 you get three – 3oz samples of beer and the tasting glass.
· The Sugar River Bike Trail: save some time to bike or walk the 23-mile trail. It is a great way to enjoy nature. The trail starts right in town.
Find out more information about the trail at http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/sugarriver/index.html
· The food is delicious!! Dining in New Glarus is an unforgettable experience for many reasons. The first is the savory Swiss flavors, the beautiful architecture, and of course the friendly service. Everyone will have fun while filling your tummy with the most mouth-watering food you have eaten. Here are my suggestions but you can not go wrong I haven’t had a bad meal yet.
o For a good sandwich at a good price try Tofflers Pub and Grill
(200 5th Avenue)
o The Glarner Stube (518 First Street) has the best and biggest prime rib. You probably will have to wait for a table but it is well worth the wait. Costs a little more some but there is some much food it is worth every penny.
o On Sunday I would eat at the New Glarus Hotel (100 6th Ave) ask to sit on the baloney, it is a great view. The New Glarus Hotel has long been known as fine Swiss dining.
· Sunday afternoon enjoy music by The Jimmy’s 1pm – 5pm
I hope you have a great time in New Glarus let me know what you think and for more information on New Glarus and its local business, visit the New Glarus Chamber of Commerce at www.swisstown.com.